Monday, December 22, 2014

Tell me Mary.

What is wrong with the world today?  Rhetorical.  Of course. You'll have your thoughts on what is wrong with the world. And I have mine.

The simplistic presentation of my thoughts should not be confused with a lesser understanding of the world.  I know you know I am much deeper than that.

As much as I love the media (well, some of it anyway) we are fed a steady stream of doom and gloom.  There isn't a day that goes by that we don't hear about a shooting, homicide, kidnapping; a person held captive for however many years. There is child abuse, domestic abuse, terrorism, drunken or texting while driving mayhem and deaths. There is a steady flow of 48 Hours mysteries to be watched, taken in.  

On and on and on it goes.  

I have to ask:  Where did all the good go?  

There is good.  I refuse to believe there isn't good.  It's everywhere.  And yet ...

When someone does something remarkably human that benefits some of mankind (or even all of mankind) it becomes a political pancake served up with a Republican or a Democratic syrup.  Maybe I should say liberal or conservative syrup.  Either way.

Why can't good just be, you know, good?  For the sake of good.  Not turned in to someone's issue of the day.

We are giving the younger generations skewed ideas about what is and what isn't important.  We forget their young brains aren't fully formed.  Maybe we don't.  No, we do. Where we should be teaching kindness, courtesy, respect we are teaching it'sallaboutmeandtoobadifyoudon'tlikeit. We're teaching them that everyone deserves to be idolized and famous.  

Nope.  Not everyone does. Not even me.  Or you.  

I know when I say we need to go back to 'basics' and teach the youth of today (include young adults if you will) what life is truly about, and how to live a life well without drama, strife, cruelty, demands and unrealistic expectations, someone out there shakes their head and thinks, "the woman is nuts."

Well maybe I am.  Am I?

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. We are fed gloom and doom by the media because fear makes people eminently controllable. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies, "We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, [the opposing candidate] is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections." Pretty succinct, and amazingly accurate, considering the movie was made twenty years ago..

    ReplyDelete